Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raised Game pie

2 posters

Go down

Raised Game pie Empty Raised Game pie

Post by Lolly Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Raised Game pie

For the filling: 2 1/2 lb game meat, pheasant rabbit,partridge,5fl oz tawny port or re grape juice,2 tblespoons brandy,1/2 tsp dried thyme, butter for greasing,2 lb minced pork,1 1/4 tsp ground ginger,1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon,3/4 tsp nutmeg,1 clove garlic crush,2or 3 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley, 8oz thin unsmoked bacon

You really need a sprung, 18cm, 7inch deep cake tin for the baking, as this will make it very easy to release the pie
partway through the cooking.

Trim the game meat from the bones and cube, keeping bones and scaps for the stock.
Pour over the port and brandy or red grape juice, with the thyme and some salt and pepper
Cover and leave to marinade in a cool place overnight
Making the jellied stock 4 allspice berries,6 whole peppercorns,1 level teaspoon thyme,2 bay leaves,1 carrot,1 onion stuck with 4 cloves.lemon juice. one 11 gram sachet powdered gelatine,salt and pepper

Place the game bones and scraps into a deep pan, add enough cold water to cover
Add the spices and herbs for the jellied stock, together with the carrot and the onion stuck with cloves
Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours
Skim the surface of the stock now and again
Strain the stock through a sieve into a clean saucepan and boil rapidly until the liquid has reduced to 1 pint (570 ml)
Taste and season with salt and lemon juice as needed
Remove the stock from the heat and whisk in the packet of gelatine

Day 2:

Skim the surface of the stock. It should have set and all the bits will make a thin layer at the top, scrape these off with a spoon.
To make the hot-water pastry 1lb8 oz plain flour,3 level tsp salt,6oz lard,1/4 pint milk or milk and water

Mix the flour and the salt in a ceramic or metal bowl
Melt the lard in the liquid, bring to the boil and pour into the bowl of flour
Beat quickly to form a dough. Lightly pinch together with one hand, kneed until smooth
Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 20-30 minutes

To make the pork filling

To th minced pork
Add the garlic, spices, parsley and a seasoning of salt and pepper, mix well and divide into four equal parts
Shape each quarter into a flat round, slightly smaller than the diameter of the cake tin. (I used small tea plates as a mold, which worked really well)

To make the pie:

Having rested the pastry, divide into 2/3rds, 1/3rd. The 1/3rd will make the pie lid, rewrap it and set aside.
Roll out the pastry and line the sprung cake tin which has been lightly greased. The pastry needs to be taller than the sides of the cake tin by 1/4 inch (0.5 cm). Make sure that there are no thin areas or your pie could leak!
Line the inside of the pie crust with the bacon rashers, trim to just below the edge of the cake tin.
Place a round of the minced pork mixture in, cover with a layer of marinaded meat (use about 1/3rd). Add another layer of pork and so on finishing with a pork layer
Roll out the remaining pastry to make the lid
Glaze the inside of the pastry base and lay on the lid. Pinch the edges of the pie crust together well to give a good join
Cut a hole in the centre to let out the steam. (This will also be used to add the stock so make it about 1cm square)
Use any remaining pastry to cut out leaves or diamonds to decorate the crust. Stick these on with a little egg then glaze the top of the pie with the rest of the egg.
To cook the pie:

Lay a sheet of foil over the pie to prevent the top from burning.
Bake at 220 C (Gas 7) for 15-20 minutes
Remove the foil and then bake at 180 C (Gas 4) for 1 hour or until tender when tested through the steam hole with a skewer
Remove from the oven and carefully spring open the sides of the cake tin
Brush the sides of the pie with the remaining egg
Return to pie to the oven and bake for 30 minutes more
Remove and cool slightly.
Pour the cold stock through the steam hole, a little at a time. ( A funnel makes this easier.) If the cold stock has set, then warm it a little until it becomes liquid again
Leave the pie to cool completely and top up with stock if necessary, to fill the pastry shell
Once completely cold, wrap well put somewhere cold

Do not attempt this if you have supped more than one glass of sherry drunken
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Raised Game pie Empty Re: Raised Game pie

Post by Admin Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:02 pm

So, it's alright to sup more than one glass of Scotch then????

Looks like a fantastic recipe, Lolly....I must try this and I am looking for one of those game pie tins which are kind of oval. If anyone has one for sale, please let me know. I would be grateful.

Raised Game pie Game_p10
Admin
Admin
Admin
gold
proudly made in Wigan goldaward

https://wigan-peers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:07 pm

I do mine in one of these

Raised Game pie 645078_1000_1_800
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:13 pm

We have a game bird company in our village, plus I know a couple of local gamekeepers and farmers as I was in the game dealing business many years ago, so after the New Year, I shall a huntin' go.....Sleigh
Admin
Admin
Admin
gold
proudly made in Wigan goldaward

https://wigan-peers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: