Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wigan Peers Friday Night Pub Quiz 28-2-20

5 posters

Go down

Wigan Peers Friday Night Pub Quiz 28-2-20 Empty Wigan Peers Friday Night Pub Quiz 28-2-20

Post by ramiejamie Fri 28 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm

A very Good Evening to the Wigan Peers.
Mrs RMJ here.
Ray is still not well enough to post and mark.
Enjoy the quiz.

GOOD LUCK.

1) Which group had a 1966 hit with ‘Substitute’?

2) Geography, in which British city might you find the ‘Bull Ring’ shopping centre?

3) TV, Walford is the setting for which long running TV series?

4) Film, Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman star in which 1976 film telling of the Watergate affair?

5) The 'Yorkshire Ripper' was arrested in January 1981 following one of the largest police investigations ever, what was his real name?

6) Food and drink, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Merlot are all types of which fruit?

7) Science, by what alpha numeric term is the ‘Coronavirus’ now officially known?

8 ) What car maker produces the compact city car ‘Jazz’ model?

9) Sport, which English League One football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’?

10) History, which King of England was crowned on Christmas Day 1066?

11) From what Rodgers and Hammerstein musical does the song "June is Bustin' Out All Over" come?

12) Born in January 1925, which English record producer was often referred to as the 'Fifth Beatle'?

13) Literature, who wrote the classic novel ‘Tess of the d'Urbervilles’?

14) Which Yorkshire artist born in 1937 is famous for his paintings of Californian swimming pools?

15) Film, in the 1989 film ‘Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade’, which actor played Indiana Jones father?

16) TV, which British actor has starred as Sherlock Holmes in the BBC’s ‘Sherlock’ since 2010?

17) Which ‘Dad's Army’ actor kicked off 1971 topping the charts with 'Grandad'?

18) Science, which is the largest planet in our Solar System?

19) Classical music, first performed in London on June 14, 1921, who wrote the tone poem ‘The Lark Ascending’?

20) History, in 1485 which King was killed at Bosworth Field, the last battle of The Wars of the Roses

21) Food and drink, translated from the Italian for ‘Slipper’, what type of foodstuff is ‘Ciabatta’?

22) Geography, which motorway connects London with Cardiff?

23) Literature, who wrote the WW2 novel set on a Greek Island “The Guns of Navarone”?

24) A standard Mandolin has how many strings?

25) ♪♫Did you ever see a man with no heart
Baby, that was me
Just a lonely, lonely man with no heart
Til you set me free
Now I can breathe
I can see
I can touch
I can feel♪♫

What song are those the opening lines to, and who sang them?

ACRONYMS BONUS QUESTIONS

BQ1) In a car, what does ABS stand for?

BQ2) At an airport, what does ATC stand for?

BQ3) On the road, ANPR might automatically detect and read your what?

BQ4) Linked to HIV, what does the medical condition AIDS stand for?

BQ5) In terms of ‘text speak’, what does TTYL mean?

STINKER) According to a 1985 Paul Hardcastle song, what was the average age of a US combat soldier in Vietnam?

TRICKY) Who was the first famous non-royal to appear on a UK postage stamp?

ramiejamie
ramiejamie
gold
proudly made in Wigan goldaward

Back to top Go down

Wigan Peers Friday Night Pub Quiz 28-2-20 Empty Re: Wigan Peers Friday Night Pub Quiz 28-2-20

Post by Lolly Fri 28 Feb 2020, 1:11 pm

ramiejamie wrote:A very Good Evening to the Wigan Peers.
Mrs RMJ here.
Enjoy the quiz.

GOOD LUCK.

1)  Which group had a 1966 hit with ‘Substitute’?.....THE WHO

2)  Geography, in which British city might you find the ‘Bull Ring’ shopping centre?.....BIRMINGHAM

3)  TV, Walford is the setting for which long running TV series?  ....EASTENDERS

4)  Film, Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman star in which 1976 film telling of the Watergate affair?

5)  The 'Yorkshire Ripper' was arrested in January 1981 following one of the largest police investigations ever, what was his real name?.....PETER SUTCLIFFF

6)  Food and drink, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Merlot are all types of which fruit?...GRAPE

7)  Science, eric term is the ‘Coronaviby what alpha numrus’ now officially known?..COVID19

8 )  What car maker produces the compact city car ‘Jazz’ model?

9)  Sport, which English League One football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’?

10)  History, which King of England was crowned on Christmas Day 1066?

11)  From what Rodgers and Hammerstein musical does the song "June is Bustin' Out All Over" come? CAROUSEL

12)  Born in January 1925, which English record producer was often referred to as the 'Fifth Beatle'?...BRIAN EPSTEIN

13)  Literature, who wrote the classic novel ‘Tess of the d'Urbervilles’?

14)  Which Yorkshire artist born in 1937 is famous for his paintings of Californian swimming pools?

15)  Film, in the 1989 film ‘Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade’, which actor played Indiana Jones father?

16)  TV, which British actor has starred as Sherlock Holmes in the BBC’s ‘Sherlock’ since 2010?

17)  Which ‘Dad's Army’ actor kicked off 1971 topping the charts with 'Grandad'?....CLIVE DUNN

18)  Science, which is the largest planet in our Solar System?..NEPTUNE

19)  Classical music, first performed in London on June 14, 1921, who wrote the tone poem ‘The Lark Ascending’?

20)  History, in 1485 which King was killed at Bosworth Field, the last battle of The Wars of the Roses...RICHARD 111

21)  Food and drink, translated from the Italian for ‘Slipper’, what type of foodstuff is ‘Ciabatta’?...BREAD

22)  Geography, which motorway connects London with Cardiff?

23)  Literature, who wrote the WW2 novel set on a Greek Island “The Guns of Navarone”?

24)  A standard Mandolin has how many strings?....8

25)  ♪♫Did you ever see a man with no heart
           Baby, that was me
           Til you set me free
           Now I can breathe
           I can see
           I can touch
           I can feel♪♫

ACRONYMS BONUS QUESTIONS

BQ1)  In a car, what does ABS stand for?....AIR BAGS

BQ2)  At an airport, what does ATC stand for?

BQ3)  On the road, ANPR might automatically detect and read your what?

BQ4)  Linked to HIV, what does the medical condition AIDS stand for?

BQ5)   In terms of ‘text speak’, what does TTYL mean?

STINKER)  According to a 1985 Paul Hardcastle song, what was the average age of a US combat soldier in Vietnam?...22 a guess

TRICKY)  Who was the first famous non-royal to appear on a UK postage stamp?

Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Wigan Peers Friday Night Pub Quiz 28-2-20 Empty Re: Wigan Peers Friday Night Pub Quiz 28-2-20

Post by Fleabag Fri 28 Feb 2020, 1:35 pm

1) Which group had a 1966 hit with ‘Substitute’? Who

2) Geography, in which British city might you find the ‘Bull Ring’ shopping centre? Birmingham

3) TV, Walford is the setting for which long running TV series? East Enders

4) Film, Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman star in which 1976 film telling of the Watergate affair? All the Presidents men

5) The 'Yorkshire Ripper' was arrested in January 1981 following one of the largest police investigations ever, what was his real name? Peter Sutcliffr

6) Food and drink, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Merlot are all types of which fruit? Grapes

7) Science, by what alpha numeric term is the ‘Coronavirus’ now officially known? Coved 19

8 ) What car maker produces the compact city car ‘Jazz’ model? Honda

9) Sport, which English League One football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’? Sunderland

10) History, which King of England was crowned on Christmas Day 1066?Harold

11) From what Rodgers and Hammerstein musical does the song "June is Bustin' Out All Over" come? Carousel

12) Born in January 1925, which English record producer was often referred to as the 'Fifth Beatle'? Brian Epstein

13) Literature, who wrote the classic novel ‘Tess of the d'Urbervilles’?Hardy

14) Which Yorkshire artist born in 1937 is famous for his paintings of Californian swimming pools? Hockney

15) Film, in the 1989 film ‘Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade’, which actor played Indiana Jones father?

16) TV, which British actor has starred as Sherlock Holmes in the BBC’s ‘Sherlock’ since 2010?

17) Which ‘Dad's Army’ actor kicked off 1971 topping the charts with 'Grandad'? Clive Dunn

18) Science, which is the largest planet in our Solar System?Jupiter

19) Classical music, first performed in London on June 14, 1921, who wrote the tone poem ‘The Lark Ascending’?

20) History, in 1485 which King was killed at Bosworth Field, the last battle of The Wars of the Roses

21) Food and drink, translated from the Italian for ‘Slipper’, what type of foodstuff is ‘Ciabatta’?bread roll

22) Geography, which motorway connects London with Cardiff?

23) Literature, who wrote the WW2 novel set on a Greek Island “The Guns of Navarone”?Alastair McLean

24) A standard Mandolin has how many strings? Four

25) ♪♫Did you ever see a man with no heart
Baby, that was me
Til you set me free
Now I can breathe
I can see
I can touch
I can feel♪♫

I’m alive The Hollies

ACRONYMS BONUS QUESTIONS

BQ1) In a car, what does ABS stand for? Air bag

BQ2) At an airport, what does ATC stand for? Air traffic control

BQ3) On the road, ANPR might automatically detect and read your what? Number plate

BQ4) Linked to HIV, what does the medical condition AIDS stand for?aquired immune deficiency syndrome

BQ5) In terms of ‘text speak’, what does TTYL mean? Talk to you later

STINKER) According to a 1985 Paul Hardcastle song, what was the average age of a US combat soldier in Vietnam? 19

TRICKY) Who was the first famous non-royal to appear on a UK postage stamp? Shakespeare

Fleabag

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Fri 28 Feb 2020, 2:00 pm

Thanks to RMJ and MRs RMJ for compiling and posting the Quiz.Hope RMJ is feeling better soon. Best wishes Ray x
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommytee Fri 28 Feb 2020, 2:39 pm

Mrs RMJ here.
Enjoy the quiz.

GOOD LUCK.

1)  Which group had a 1966 hit with ‘Substitute’? The who

2)  Geography, in which British city might you find the ‘Bull Ring’ shopping centre?

3)  TV, Walford is the setting for which long running TV series?  Emmerdale

4)  Film, Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman star in which 1976 film telling of the Watergate affair? All the presidents men

5)  The 'Yorkshire Ripper' was arrested in January 1981 following one of the largest police investigations ever, what was his real name? P Sutcliff

6)  Food and drink, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Merlot are all types of which fruit?

7)  Science, by what alpha numeric term is the ‘Coronavirus’ now officially known?

8 )  What car maker produces the compact city car ‘Jazz’ model? Honda

9)  Sport, which English League One football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’? Sunderland

11)  From what Rodgers and Hammerstein musical does the song "June is Bustin' Out All Over" come?

12)  Born in January 1925, which English record producer was often referred to as the 'Fifth Beatle'? Epstine

14)  Which Yorkshire artist born in 1937 is famous for his paintings of Californian swimming pools?

15)  Film, in the 1989 film ‘Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade’, which actor played Indiana Jones father?

16)  TV, which British actor has starred as Sherlock Holmes in the BBC’s ‘Sherlock’ since 2010?

17)  Which ‘Dad's Army’ actor kicked off 1971 topping the charts with 'Grandad'? Clive Dunn

18)  Science, which is the largest planet in our Solar System?

19)  Classical music, first performed in London on June 14, 1921, who wrote the tone poem ‘The Lark Ascending’?

20)  History, in 1485 which King was killed at Bosworth Field, the last battle of The Wars of the Roses

21)  Food and drink, translated from the Italian for ‘Slipper’, what type of foodstuff is ‘Ciabatta’? Spaghetti

22)  Geography, which motorway connects London with Cardiff? M4

23)  Literature, who wrote the WW2 novel set on a Greek Island “The Guns of Navarone”?

24)  A standard Mandolin has how many strings? 6

Baby, that was me
           Til you set me free
           Now I can breathe
           I can see
           I can touch
           I can feel♪♫

ACRONYMS BONUS QUESTIONS

BQ1)  In a car, what does ABS stand for? Air bags

BQ2)  At an airport, what does ATC stand for? Air traffic control

BQ3)  On the road, ANPR might automatically detect and read your what? Number plates

STINKER)  According to a 1985 Paul Hardcastle song, what was the average age of a US combat soldier in Vietnam?

Tommytee
Bronze
Proudly made in Wigan bronze award

Back to top Go down

Post by gassey Sat 29 Feb 2020, 2:10 am

Mrs RMJ here.
Enjoy the quiz.

GOOD LUCK.

1)  Which group had a 1966 hit with ‘Substitute’? THE WHO

2)  Geography, in which British city might you find the ‘Bull Ring’ shopping centre? BIRMINGHAM

3)  TV, Walford is the setting for which long running TV series? EASTENDERS 

4)  Film, Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman star in which 1976 film telling of the Watergate affair? ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN

5)  The 'Yorkshire Ripper' was arrested in January 1981 following one of the largest police investigations ever, what was his real name? PETER SUCCLIFFE

6)  Food and drink, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Merlot are all types of which fruit? GRAPE

7)  Science, by what alpha numeric term is the ‘Coronavirus’ now officially known?

8 )  What car maker produces the compact city car ‘Jazz’ model? FORD

9)  Sport, which English League One football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’? SUNDERLAND

10)  History, which King of England was crowned on Christmas Day 1066? WILLIAM THE CONQUERER

11)  From what Rodgers and Hammerstein musical does the song "June is Bustin' Out All Over" come? OKLAHOMA

12)  Born in January 1925, which English record producer was often referred to as the 'Fifth Beatle'? BRIAN EPSTEIN

15)  Film, in the 1989 film ‘Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade’, which actor played Indiana Jones father? SEAN CONNERY

17)  Which ‘Dad's Army’ actor kicked off 1971 topping the charts with 'Grandad'? CLIVE DUNN

18)  Science, which is the largest planet in our Solar System? VENUS

20)  History, in 1485 which King was killed at Bosworth Field, the last battle of The Wars of the Roses RICHARD 111

21)  Food and drink, translated from the Italian for ‘Slipper’, what type of foodstuff is ‘Ciabatta’? BREAD

22)  Geography, which motorway connects London with Cardiff? M4

24)  A standard Mandolin has how many strings? 4

Baby, that was me
           Til you set me free
           Now I can breathe
           I can see
           I can touch
           I can feel♪♫

IM ALIVE THE HOLLIES

ACRONYMS BONUS QUESTIONS

BQ1)  In a car, what does ABS stand for? ANTILOCK BRAKING SYSTEM

BQ2)  At an airport, what does ATC stand for? AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL

BQ3)  On the road, ANPR might automatically detect and read your what? AUTO NUMBER PLATE READER

BQ4)  Linked to HIV, what does the medical condition AIDS stand for? AQUIRED IMMUNE DEFICIENCY SYNDROME

STINKER)  According to a 1985 Paul Hardcastle song, what was the average age of a US combat soldier in Vietnam? 20

TRICKY)  Who was the first famous non-royal to appear on a UK postage stamp? ROBERT LOUIS STEPHENSON

HOPE YOUR FEELING BETTER SOON RAY

gassey
gassey
Bronze
Proudly made in Wigan bronze award

Back to top Go down

Post by ramiejamie Mon 02 Mar 2020, 7:25 am

Hello you lovely Wigan Peers.
Sorry for non marking of late. my dodgy shaking digits have stopped me using a mouse.
Well done to Friday's quizzers, here are Friday's quiz answers.

Wigan Peers Friday Night Pub Quiz Answers 28-2-19

1)  Which group had a 1966 hit with ‘Substitute’?
  The Who              

2)  Geography, in which British city might you find the ‘Bull Ring’ shopping centre?
        Birmingham  

3)  TV, Walford is the setting for which long running TV series?  
         Eastenders

4)  Film, Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman star in which 1976 film telling of the Watergate affair?
 All the President’s Men      

5)  The 'Yorkshire Ripper' was arrested in January 1981 following one of the largest police investigations ever, what was his real name?
 Peter Sutcliffe            

6)  Food and drink, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Merlot are all types of which fruit?
            Grape  

Corvid 19            

8 )  What car maker produces the compact city car ‘Jazz’ model?
          Honda  

9)  Sport, which English League One football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’?
      Sunderland  

William the Conqueror / William I          

11)  From what Rodgers and Hammerstein musical does the song "June is Bustin' Out All Over" come?
          Carousel    

12)  Born in January 1925, which English record producer was often referred to as the 'Fifth Beatle'
Sir George Martin
It seems there are other people who have qualified for the title ‘Fifth Beatle’, like Brian Epstein and Pete Best, but I specifically stated ‘record producer’      

Thomas Hardy

David Hockney                

Sean Connery                

Benedict Cumberbatch

17)  Which ‘Dad's Army’ actor kicked off 1971 topping the charts with 'Grandad'?
Clive Dunn                

18)  Science, which is the largest planet in our Solar System?
          Jupiter  

Ralph Vaughn Williams  

20)  History, in 1485 which King was killed at Bosworth Field, the last battle of The Wars of the Roses
  Richard III            

21)  Food and drink, translated from the Italian for ‘Slipper’, what type of foodstuff is ‘Ciabatta’?
            Bread  

22)  Geography, which motorway connects London with Cardiff?
        M4  

Alistair MacLean      

24)  A standard Mandolin has how many strings?
            Eight  

Baby, that was me
           Til you set me free
           Now I can breathe
           I can see
           I can touch
           I can feel♪♫

I’m Alive / The Hollies      

ACRONYMS BONUS QUESTIONS

BQ1)  In a car, what does ABS stand for?
 Anti-lock Breaking System          

BQ2)  At an airport, what does ATC stand for?
 Air Traffic Control          

BQ3)  On the road, ANPR might automatically detect and read your what?
Number plate, ‘Automatic Number Plate Recognition’      

Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome            

BQ5)  In terms of ‘text speak’, what does TTYL mean?
 Talk to you later    

STINKER)  According to a 1985 Paul Hardcastle song, what was the average age of a US combat soldier in Vietnam?
  Nineteen        

William Shakespeare in 1964              
ramiejamie
ramiejamie
gold
proudly made in Wigan goldaward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum