Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Joe's travel thread...

5 posters

Go down

Uncle Joe's travel thread... Empty Uncle Joe's travel thread...

Post by Admin Sun 04 Oct 2020, 11:09 am

Where have you been in this wide world?

Where would you like to still travel too...?

Been to: Scotland, Wales and Ireland, Canada, U.S.of A., Mexico, British Virgin Islands, St Martin, Hong Kong, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Holland.

Would like to visit:   Israel, India, Australia, New Zealand, Africa.

Anything else, Uncle Joe?  any other ideas perhaps? Thumbs Up

Last edited by Admin on Sun 04 Oct 2020, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin
gold
proudly made in Wigan goldaward

https://wigan-peers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Uncle Joe's travel thread... Empty Re: Uncle Joe's travel thread...

Post by Uncle Joe Sun 04 Oct 2020, 11:26 am

Not as yet as far afield as Admin, but, so far...

Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Germany, Belgium, Ntherlands, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Italy, Greece.

I've invitations to Canada, USA, Australia and Argentina. So they are my "would like to's

Time to start digging out some photos and posting them, methinks. Even if they are not very good!

Last edited by Uncle Joe on Sun 04 Oct 2020, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Joe
Uncle Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckyfuzz Sun 04 Oct 2020, 11:31 am

Been to, Scotland Wales Ireland, Isle of man, USA, Thailand, Turkey, Tunisia, Greece, France, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Portugal, Germany Mexico, a few of the Caribbean islands.
Would love to see the Galapagos islands, south Africa, New Zealand, Vietnam and see the northern lights. Maybe if I win the lottery I will get to visit them.
Duckyfuzz
Duckyfuzz
Bronze
Proudly made in Wigan bronze award

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Sun 04 Oct 2020, 11:59 am

Uncle Joe wrote:Not as yet as far afield as Admin, but, so far...

Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Germany, Belgium, Ntherlands, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Italy, Greece.

I've invitations to Canada, USA, Australia and Argentina. So they are my "would like to's

Time to start digging out some photos and posting them, methinks. Even if they are not very good!

Have you been to Goslar in the Hartz Mountains?
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Sun 04 Oct 2020, 12:11 pm

Bamburg is stunning, however DO NOT AVOID
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Joe Sun 04 Oct 2020, 12:12 pm

Naughty Mitten wrote:

As yet, no. If my memory serves, its in Lower Saxony. Is that correct?

Duckyfuzz: As regards the Northern Lights, a good place to see them is Abisko in Sweden. Closer to home, they can also be seen from the Shetlands and Orkneys. Nowadays, there is a phone app that tells of the current best places.
Uncle Joe
Uncle Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Sun 04 Oct 2020, 12:16 pm

Uncle Joe wrote:
Naughty Mitten wrote:

Duckyfuzz: As regards the Northern Lights, a good place to see them is Abisko in Sweden. Closer to home, they can also be seen from the Shetlands and Orkneys. Nowadays, there is a phone app that tells of the current best places.

Correct Thumbs Up
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Joe Sun 04 Oct 2020, 12:29 pm

I remember that Lolly was asking about Sweden the other day, so here are some photos, and a little story.

In the early years of the 20th century, a man by the name of Rudolf Abelin bought a property and over the course of something like 14 years, laid out a huge garden. By the end of the century, the place had become derelict, and was purchased by property developers. Then, it was discovered that a rare and endagered lizard lived in the grounds. In typical Swedish style, this put a stop to the building. Since then, the property has been totally renovated, and looks like this...Uncle Joe's travel thread... Dscn2414
Uncle Joe
Uncle Joe

Admin and Lolly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckyfuzz Sun 04 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm

Uncle Joe wrote:
Naughty Mitten wrote:

Thanks for the tip Uncle Joe, when this wretched covid has gone maybe I will take a break in the shetlands.
Duckyfuzz
Duckyfuzz
Bronze
Proudly made in Wigan bronze award

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Joe Sun 04 Oct 2020, 5:34 pm

I'm going off my sometimes poor memory now, so dont hang me if I'm wrong. I have a vague memory that the coast around Caithness is regarded as the best place in Scotland to see the Northern Lights, and I think timewise its January/February.

Otherwise, I would say the best chances are in Abisko, Sweden. From the Aurora Weather/tourist/Sky station, the clear air makes them visible most nights. I've been told its the best place in the world to see them. It is a long way up though...a long, long way....
Uncle Joe
Uncle Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 04 Oct 2020, 5:45 pm

I love to see the Northern Lights. I have seen them in Nova Scotia and Ontario, many times. It's quite a sight.

They were visible in Cumbria a couple of years ago, so I believe.
Admin
Admin
Admin
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Sun 04 Oct 2020, 5:51 pm

Uncle Joe wrote:I'm going off my sometimes poor memory now, so dont hang me if I'm wrong. I have a vague memory that the coast around Caithness is regarded as the best place in Scotland to see the Northern Lights, and I think timewise its January/February.

Otherwise, I would say the best chances are in Abisko, Sweden. From the Aurora Weather/tourist/Sky station, the clear air makes them visible most nights. I've been told its the best place in the world to see them. It is a long way up though...a long, long way....

I lived in Thurso Caithness for a few years and saw them regularly

Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 04 Oct 2020, 5:55 pm

I lived in Spean Bridge and the first summer I remember taking photos at 1:30 in the morning without a tripod. There was enough light to take photos of the nearby mountains with a hand held camera. Also I remember flying from Vancouver to London in June 1973. We flew over the pole. I actually watched the sun set and rise twice during the night flight.

What a beautiful planet we do have. Thumbs Up
Admin
Admin
Admin
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Sun 04 Oct 2020, 6:04 pm

Did you stop off in Anchorage and see the polar bears

Uncle Joe's travel thread... 20120428-231656
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Joe Mon 05 Oct 2020, 2:35 pm

Admin wrote:

What a beautiful planet we do have. Thumbs Up

Wonderful as well! The thing I have difficulty comprehending is distance, even within Europe. I was looking into how long it would take to fly from Manchester to Kiruna. Thats the nearest airport to Abisko for the Northern lights. Manchester to Copenhagen is given as roughly 1h 50m. Copenhagen to Kiruna is 3h 40m. Double the flight time! Then it struck me that those times are only a short hop compared to within other countries! I should add that as Copenhagen airport is only a couple of miles outside Swedish territory, its considered to be the "local airport" for those in the south of Sweden.
Uncle Joe
Uncle Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum