Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historical Trivia

+2
Lolly
ramiejamie
6 posters

Go down

Historical Trivia Empty Historical Trivia

Post by ramiejamie Wed 18 Sep 2019, 10:29 am

I have posted this to compliment Lolly's really interesting thread on 'Historical Objects':-

I may have posted this before over on t'other place, from where I was booted off!!!!!!!!!
As has been said before, "there's nowt wrong with repeats".
The first two items where given to me by my Daughter, who is an avid historian and hoarder of historical trivia.

Historical Trivia.

King Richard II was the first Monarch who demanded to be called Your Majesty.

King Richard II, who reigned from 1377 to 1399, is widely believed to have invented the pocket handkerchief.

We get the word testify from a time when men swore an oath on each others testicles.
In ancient Rome, two men taking an oath of allegiance held each other's testicles, and men held their own testicles as a sign of truthfulness while bearing witness in a public forum. The Romans found a word to describe this practice but didn't invent the practice itself.

Sir Isaac Newton (1642–1727) is credited with inventing the cat door.

Great Britain was the first county to issue postage stamps, on 1 May 1840. Hence, UK stamps are the only stamps in the world not to bear the name of the country of origin.

Only one of the Seven Wonders of the World survives today, The Great Pyramid of Giza.

Robert Cawdrey's Table Alphabeticall, published in 1604, was the first single-language English dictionary ever published. It lists approximately 3000 words, defining each one with a simple and brief description.

Halley’s  Comet passes Earth every 76 years, the next time it will return will be in 2062.

When the mummy of Ramses II was sent to France in the mid-1970s, it was issued a passport. Ramses' occupation? "King (deceased)"

The great conqueror, Attila the Hun, died from a nosebleed.

The Black Death reduced the population of Europe by two thirds , nearly 50 million people in a 4 year period from 1347 to 1351.

The first animal in space was the female Samoyed husky named Laika, launched by the Soviets in 1957.

Al Capone’s business card stated that he was a used furniture dealer.
ramiejamie
ramiejamie
gold
proudly made in Wigan goldaward

Back to top Go down

Historical Trivia Empty Re: Historical Trivia

Post by Lolly Wed 18 Sep 2019, 10:51 am

Turkeys Were Once Worshipped Like Gods

In 300 B.C., these big birds were heralded by the Mayan people as vessels of the gods and were honored as such, so much so that they were domesticated to have roles in religious rites. They were symbols of power and prestige and can be found everywhere in Maya iconography and archaeology.

Historical Trivia Turkey
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 18 Sep 2019, 9:18 pm

Interesting stuff, but I believe all that testicle stuff is a load of bo---cks..Ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh ah...............

Also, there is an 8th wonder of the world...and that's our Lolly...Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Admin
Admin
Admin
gold

https://wigan-peers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 18 Sep 2019, 9:24 pm

"Turkeys Were Once Worshipped Like Gods"

...and now they populate our Parliament....and nobody worships them.... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Admin
Admin
Admin
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by ramiejamie Wed 18 Sep 2019, 9:59 pm

Seems our Admin is ‘in the know’, and I apologise for posting incorrect or disputable facts, I should of course have checked it out.

Folklore has it that the word ‘testify’ comes from the word testis, the Latin word for testicles. The theory is based on the assumption that in ancient Rome, when two men were taking an oath in a public forum, in order to express their truthfulness they were holding and swearing upon their testicles.
Presumably, if one party broke the oath, his testicles would have been lopped off.

Amusing story indeed, but is it true?
Did the Romans actually swear on their private parts hence the origin of the word ‘testify’?

Even though we can’t be 100% sure, it’s highly unlikely that this is the case for two main reasons.
Yes, the word testify does come from testis, but the word testis in Latin has two meanings: witness and testicles.
I don’t really think that I have to explain why witness makes more sense than testicles, but the etymology of the word makes things clearer.
Testis actually derives from the Indo-European word for ‘three’.
This is because Romans considered witnesses only third parties, people who didn’t have a side on a specific dispute and could therefore, tell the story as it really was.

Supporters of the myth seem to forget this etymology and choose the “testicles oath”. But there’s a huge problem with that part of the story as well.

There is no written confirmation suggesting that Romans were swearing while grabbing their testicles.
There are numerous passages that describe Roman oaths and customs in the Latin corpus, but there is no reference to this particular oath whatsoever.
That being said, swearing on the testicles is indeed mentioned in the Old Testament as “grasping the thigh” but even that was on the testicles of the king, not on their own. There is no evidence that this was also used in ancient Rome, especially when we are talking about an entirely different era.
ramiejamie
ramiejamie
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 18 Sep 2019, 11:24 pm

Here's to you
Admin
Admin
Admin
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by nordic Thu 19 Sep 2019, 2:39 pm

Mr I've swore when I've injured my private parts . Very Happy
nordic
nordic

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Mon 21 Sep 2020, 1:24 pm

Captain Morgan Actually Existed

Historical Trivia Captain-morgan

Yes, face of the well-loved rum brand was a totally real guy. He was a Welsh privateer who fought alongside the English against the Spanish in the Caribbean in the 1660s and 1670s. His first name was Henry and was knighted by King Charles II of England. His exact birth date is unknown, but it was sometime around 1635. He died in Jamaica in 1688, apparently very rich.
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticsmon Mon 21 Sep 2020, 7:14 pm

Captain Morgan and his Hammond Organ!

Ticsmon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Tue 22 Sep 2020, 11:02 am

In 1386, a pig was executed in France.

There wasn’t a great detail of civil rights in the Middle Ages, and as it turns out there weren’t a great of animal rights either. So much so that they were even subject to human justice.

One such case happened in Falaise, France, where a pig attacked a child’s face who went on to later die from their wounds.

The pig was arrested, kept in prison, and then sent to court where it stood trial for murder, was found guilty, and then executed by hanging!
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Tue 22 Sep 2020, 11:08 am

Not to mention the monkey hangers from Sunderland Shocked
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by nordic Fri 02 Oct 2020, 1:59 pm

The bear in the Forest of dean that was put on trial and killed .
nordic
nordic

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Mon 08 Feb 2021, 6:09 pm

Cracking thread RMJ

Adolf Hitler farted uncontrollably, used cocaine to clear his sinuses, ingested some 28 drugs at a time and received injections of bull testicle extracts to bolster his libido.

Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Mon 08 Feb 2021, 6:27 pm

I've always likes sprouts for as far back as I can remember, and they have never given me Hitler's bowel problems
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Mon 08 Feb 2021, 6:38 pm

In the early 90s, Pepsi owned 17 submarines, a cruiser, a frigate, and a destroyer, all because of a deal with the Soviet Union in which they exchanged soda for military equipment.
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Mon 08 Feb 2021, 7:12 pm

ramiejamie wrote:I have posted this to compliment Lolly's really interesting thread on 'Historical Objects':-

I may have posted this before over on t'other place, from where I was booted off!!!!!!!!!
As has been said before, "there's nowt wrong with repeats".
The first two items where given to me by my Daughter, who is an avid historian and hoarder of historical trivia.

Historical Trivia.

King Richard II was the first Monarch who demanded to be called Your Majesty.

King Richard II, who reigned from 1377 to 1399, is widely believed to have invented the pocket handkerchief.

We get the word testify from a time when men swore an oath on each others testicles.
In ancient Rome, two men taking an oath of allegiance held each other's testicles, and men held their own testicles as a sign of truthfulness while bearing witness in a public forum. The Romans found a word to describe this practice but didn't invent the practice itself.

Sir Isaac Newton (1642–1727) is credited with inventing the cat door.

Great Britain was the first county to issue postage stamps, on 1 May 1840. Hence, UK stamps are the only stamps in the world not to bear the name of the country of origin.

Only one of the Seven Wonders of the World survives today, The Great Pyramid of Giza.

Robert Cawdrey's Table Alphabeticall, published in 1604, was the first single-language English dictionary ever published. It lists approximately 3000 words, defining each one with a simple and brief description.

Halley’s  Comet passes Earth every 76 years, the next time it will return will be in 2062.

When the mummy of Ramses II was sent to France in the mid-1970s, it was issued a passport. Ramses' occupation? "King (deceased)"

The great conqueror, Attila the Hun, died from a nosebleed.

The Black Death reduced the population of Europe by two thirds , nearly 50 million people in a 4 year period from 1347 to 1351.

The first animal in space was the female Samoyed husky named Laika, launched by the Soviets in 1957.

Al Capone’s business card stated that he was a used furniture dealer.
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Wed 10 Feb 2021, 10:05 am

The Olympics Used to Award Medals for Art.

From 1912 to 1948, the Olympic Games held competitions in the fine arts. Medals were given for literature, architecture, sculpture, painting, and music. Naturally, the art created was required to be Olympic-themed. According to the founder of the modern Olympics, Pierre de Frédy, the addition of the arts was necessary because the ancient Greeks used to hold art festivals alongside the games. Before the art events were eventually removed, 151 medals were awarded.
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:00 pm

Anymore trivia?
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Wed 10 Feb 2021, 6:04 pm

A 'butt' was a Medieval unit of measure for wine. Technically, a buttload of wine is about 475 liters (126 gal).
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Wed 10 Feb 2021, 6:11 pm

I won't mention the size of any butts on here unlike you Very Happy
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Wed 10 Feb 2021, 6:25 pm

Not those kind of butts Rolling Eyes
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by ramiejamie Wed 10 Feb 2021, 6:33 pm

I think that's where the name  Hardybutts came from.
The archers used the wooden base of the butts as a target to practise archery.
ramiejamie
ramiejamie
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum