Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St Josephs

3 posters

Go down

St Josephs Empty St Josephs

Post by Lolly Sat 16 Apr 2022, 4:38 pm

Photos of Wigan
@photosofwigan
·
It's such a shame to see buildings fall to pieces through neglect, St Joseph's church on Caroline Street is getting worse, now all that lovely stained glass is smashed in. #WIGAN

St Josephs FQdjwdGX0AMWF2J?format=jpg&name=large

Maureen will be heartbroken as will many others. Sad
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

St Josephs Empty Re: St Josephs

Post by Maureen Sun 24 Apr 2022, 1:48 pm

Have only just seen this Fred..my iPad is on its way out..we were traveling down Caroline Street and saw that the locked door had been smashed in again,we went in ,but oh my..the roof is practically gone,the entire floor is covered in pigeon poo,the smell of ammonia is overpowering,it is so sad to see it come to this..my patents and grandparents were baptized confirmed and married here..so was I..when I was seventeen I got a phone call at work..my Brother Michael had been in a very bad accident..the only thing I could think of was to run all the way from John Englands to St Josephs to light a candle and say a prayer..this church has so many memories for me I could practically write a book..I was in the choir ..I don't class myself as pious..in fact I can't be doing with all that ..but I went to 6-45 mass every morning..benediction at night..and Sunday morning and evening benediction...I wasn't forced to ..my Mam and Dad both worked do they didn't know where I was half the time I supposed,that isn't to say they didn't care,they were brilliant parents,..but life gets in the way dosent it Fred...I bet youre glad you've got to the end of my nattering eh Fred...Tara love.x
Maureen
Maureen
Bronze
Proudly made in Wigan bronze award

Back to top Go down

Post by Maureen Sun 24 Apr 2022, 4:56 pm

I promise I can spell ' doesn't ' properly ...honest.lol
Maureen
Maureen
Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post by bravo Mon 25 Apr 2022, 6:15 am

hi maureen,its so sad to see a lovely building crumbling,
if you think about it we spend 10 years of our live
every sunday in that building.
so who is at fault the church or the council.
i would say its a listed building.or was.

bravo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Mon 25 Apr 2022, 12:52 pm

History
In October 1870, Father Henry J Lamon (see "St. Joseph's Clergy") was appointed head of the new mission that would soon become the Parish of St. Joseph, Wigan, and it was due to the untiring zeal and great energy of the new Rector that rapid progress was made.

The first service was held on 22nd January, 1871, in a small chapel that formerly belonged to the Primitive Methodist Body, in Caroline Street, but in a very short time the building was found to be too small for the increasing numbers of Catholics living in the surrounding Wallgate area.

Consequently, with the permission of the Right Reverend Doctor O'Reilly, Bishop of Liverpool, Father Lamon purchased some adjoining land to the chapel, at a cost of £500. The old Methodist chapel was then pulled down, and on the site was erected the first church of St. Joseph, which opened in April 1872. This new church was built to accommodate between 500 and 600 worshippers at a cost of £3,000 - a considerable sum at the time.

However, it soon became evident that the new church was totally inadequate for the requirements of the district, and steps were taken without delay for the erection of a more extensive building.

The design of the new St. Joseph's Church, the one that so many came to know and love, was entrusted to Mr. Goldie, of the firm of Messrs. Goldie and Child, of Kensington, London, and the contract, which amounted to about £6,000, to Mr. J. Wilson, of Wigan, with Mr. Weatherby acting as clerk of works. In 1877, the foundation stone was laid and blessed by the Right Rev. Dr. O'Reilly, and, together, with the adjoining Presbytery for the accommodation of three priests, the church was completed in 1878 and opened on Sunday, 30th June of that year.

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/st-josephs-church-wigan-october-2020.127736/#:~:text=The%20church%20was%20closed%20in%201995%20and%20still,empty%20is%20still%20largely%20impressive%20in%20my%20opinion.
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Maureen Mon 25 Apr 2022, 2:31 pm

Very interesting Lolly, we watched a video of the church's last day and mass that someone ( I don't know who) a friend sent me..it was lovely to see but it was out of whack..the hymn Panis Angelicus that was played brought me to tears..we used to sing it in harmony in the choir all those years ago..and the man that was on the doors was Albert Evkersley a one time Mayor of Wigan ..his Sister was in my class..we used to have a good natter on WW.he had a brilliant memory of Wallgate and my Mam and Dad.. and our street.unfortunately he is no longer with us.
I must tell you about a woman named Eileen Frain who sang in the choir..her voice was beautiful and she finished up I was told on radio in Ireland .my Cliff was C of E and one night we were passing the church and could hear her voice,I asked Cliff to just come in the church with me to hear her,he agreed..her voice was beautiful...I have so many memories of that church and the priests you wouldn't believe.
Maureen
Maureen
Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post by Maureen Mon 25 Apr 2022, 2:53 pm

I'd love to know why my comment keeps doubling up.
Maureen
Maureen
Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Thu 15 Jun 2023, 9:42 pm

St Josephs St_jos10
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum