Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WMS Oral History Collection

2 posters

Go down

WMS Oral History Collection Empty WMS Oral History Collection

Post by Lolly Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:15 pm

In the 1980s, John Reid from the Wigan Museum Service recorded interviews with local people. These interviews covered many subjects including childhood, working life, as well as memories of important events such as the Second World War, the 1926 General Strike, and the Royal wedding of King Charles III and Lady Diana Spencer. 

https://archives.wigan.gov.uk/archive/audio-archive/wms-oral-history-collection
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

jo anne likes this post

Back to top Go down

WMS Oral History Collection Empty Re: WMS Oral History Collection

Post by Lolly Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:19 pm

Last edited by Lolly on Fri May 05, 2023 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Fri May 05, 2023 12:08 am

Pat Spence from Platt Bridge talks to John Reid about the preparations for a street party to celebrate the Royal wedding of King Charles III and Lady Diana Spencer in 1981. Recorded on the 29 July, 1981.

"What was the motivation behind having the party?

"Just for the kids. Just a special day, something for the kids to remember I think really, you know, and the fact that we enjoy doing it really"

https://archives.wigan.gov.uk/archive/audio-archive/wms-oral-history-collection/2170106-ap-wms-2-s1-f01-v1-e1?

I expect many will be having a street party this weekend Thumbs Up
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H's Hot Pot Fri May 05, 2023 11:45 pm

Lolly wrote:Pat Spence from Platt Bridge talks to John Reid about the preparations for a street party to celebrate the Royal wedding of King Charles III and Lady Diana Spencer in 1981. Recorded on the 29 July, 1981.

"What was the motivation behind having the party?

"Just for the kids. Just a special day, something for the kids to remember I think really, you know, and the fact that we enjoy doing it really"

https://archives.wigan.gov.uk/archive/audio-archive/wms-oral-history-collection/2170106-ap-wms-2-s1-f01-v1-e1?

I expect many will be having a street party this weekend Thumbs Up

I remember attending one of these street parties to celebrate the ill fated wedding of the then Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer back in 1981.

The one I attended was held in Winifred Street in Lower Ince at the Harvey Street end near the dairy and everything was done by the people from the surrounding streets just spontaneously getting together to organise it, from loaning their tables and chairs for the day to making the food. Someones Dad even set up his hi-fi in the street to provide music! Nobody got hurt and we had a smashing time.Very Happy
We even got our picture in the Wigan Observer and my mam proudly ordered a copy from them for a small charge as you could do back then.
Will have to see if I can dig it out and scan it to post.

Charles and Diana's wedding was probably the last national event celebrated in this way as skip forward to the late Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002 and communities wanting to have a street party were now required to apply for 'licences' from their local councils to close their street off even if it was a cul-de-sac! Have 'official marshalls' directing traffic and 'liability insurance" so needless to say many communities didn't bother opting to have private celebrations in their gardens instead.

Mr H's Hot Pot

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Sat May 06, 2023 9:35 am

Dig that photo out Mr H. I was in Ndola Zambia for the royal wedding. I watched it with some Zambian friends who were in awe of the event. Even if it was only in black and white.
We had tomato sandwiches spread with beef dripping as there was no marge or butter to be had. Posh or what. queen
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum