Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Owd' Tom Hughes legendary Wigan cyclist

3 posters

Go down

'Owd' Tom Hughes legendary Wigan cyclist Empty 'Owd' Tom Hughes legendary Wigan cyclist

Post by Mr H's Hot Pot Fri 01 Sep 2023, 11:39 am

'Owd' Tom Hughes legendary Wigan cyclist B25lY21zOmQ0ZDcwNGJjLTE2NTgtNGFlNC1iMjEwLWJhNGI1ZWFjMWMyNDpiZjk0NTMxZC02ODUyLTRmODUtOTEzOS0xMTBlOGNiNDE4NTg=

Does anyone have any info on the legendary Wigan cyclist "Owd" Tom Hughes who regularly topped 10,000 miles a year on the roads of the British Isles and Europe and exceeded 400,000 miles in his life time of cycling?

As I'm hoping to do a YouTube video at some point featuring this forgotten Wigan character.
From what I already know I think he was the grandfather/father of the Tom Hughes that used to own the cycle shop in Mesnes Strret which later became Oliver Somers cycle shop and that he was quite active in the Wigan Wheelers cycling club before going on to form his own club 'The Autumn Tints' for veteran cyclists which is still going today and has a minimum age requirement of something like 50+.

He died aged 85 on January 5 1950 and that's about all I know other than the famous picture of him riding a penny farthing, ideally I'd like to know where he was buried which I'm thinking may be a local church yard somewhere as he dosen't appear to be listed as being buried in any of the Wigan Council owned cemeteries throughout the borough.

Any info would be greatly apperciated and will be credited in the video.

Mr H's Hot Pot

Back to top Go down

'Owd' Tom Hughes legendary Wigan cyclist Empty Re: 'Owd' Tom Hughes legendary Wigan cyclist

Post by Lolly Fri 01 Sep 2023, 12:24 pm

Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

'Owd' Tom Hughes legendary Wigan cyclist Empty Re: 'Owd' Tom Hughes legendary Wigan cyclist

Post by Mickrick Tue 12 Sep 2023, 2:18 pm

Buried St John's churchyard Pemberton.
The gravestone was reported as damaged some thirty years ago, but held this inscription:-

"In Loving Memory of Alice Ann Beloved wife of Tom Hughes who died Feb 17th 1928 Aged 61 years.
Also Tom Hughes Husband of The Above Who Died 5th Jan 1950 Aged 83 years".
Mickrick
Mickrick

Lolly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickrick Tue 12 Sep 2023, 2:28 pm

Further to above:-

Marriage: 21 May 1888 St John the Divine, Pemberton, Lancs.
Thomas Hughes - 21, Collier, Bachelor, 26 Little Lane, Pemberton
Alice Ann Cartwright - 22, Spinster, 484 Ormskirk Rd, Pemberton
Groom's Father: Charles Hughes, Collier
Bride's Father: William Cartwright, Engine Tenter
Witness: John Hughes; Caroline Hughes
Married by Banns by: E. F. Forrest
Register: Marriages 1885 - 1890, Page 155, Entry 310

(Source - Lancashire OPC.)
Mickrick
Mickrick

Lolly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Tue 12 Sep 2023, 8:49 pm

Mickrick wrote:Buried St John's churchyard Pemberton.
The gravestone was reported as damaged some thirty years ago, but held this inscription:-

"In Loving Memory of Alice Ann Beloved wife of Tom Hughes who died Feb 17th 1928 Aged 61 years.
Also Tom Hughes Husband of The Above Who Died 5th Jan 1950 Aged 83 years".

Great info Mickrick, I'm sure Mr H will be very happy Thumbs Up
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Mickrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickrick Tue 12 Sep 2023, 8:51 pm

Lolly wrote:

Great info Mickrick, I'm sure Mr H will be very happy Thumbs Up

Many thanks, Lolly. Very Happy
Mickrick
Mickrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum