Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smart Meters

3 posters

Go down

Smart Meters Empty Smart Meters

Post by ramiejamie Sat 07 Oct 2023, 1:48 pm

I keep being pestered by my energy supplier EDF to change to a smart meter for my electric.
I get e-mails 4 or 5 times a week and now they have found my mobile number I am getting badgered on my i-phone ( I think they must have got my phone number from Vodaphone who sell numbers to folk even though they say they don’t).
It obviously saves them having to collect meter readings but I have heard tales of bad installations and are they accurate?
Anybody got any experience of smart meters please.
ramiejamie
ramiejamie
gold
proudly made in Wigan goldaward

Back to top Go down

Smart Meters Empty Re: Smart Meters

Post by Lolly Sat 07 Oct 2023, 1:58 pm

I was the same when with Edf.  Pestered night and day to get one. I always resisted.
In the time I've been in my new home I don't think my meter has been read by BG in 16 months. I've always took a pic of my meter to keep an eye on what I'm being charged.
I've no idea about smart meters, except that it's doing someone out of a job. Maybe those people can be utilised by customer services they sadly need more people to deal with customer enquires and complaints.

Edit The last time I wanted to speak to someone at BG I used the chat,[with a robot] which I'm sure the whole purpose is to wind people up
I was eventually given a link which to cut a long story short put me 137th in a queue affraid
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Post by ramiejamie Sat 07 Oct 2023, 2:11 pm

Thanks for your comments Lolly.
I will resist changing to a smart meter for as long as I can, I suspect ultimately I will be forced into it.
Your comments about customer service shortfalls are well founded, blimey, 137th in a queue !!!!!
ramiejamie
ramiejamie
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Sat 07 Oct 2023, 2:28 pm

My smart meter has saved me a fortune, B Gas give me half price leccy on Sundays for 5 hours more than enough to charge my car and anything else, also I noted my leccy use was rising so I checked my appliances and my freezer was leaking cold air so I replaced and it paid for itself within 6 months

As for EDF, I pestered them for two years for a new smart meter but not until I changed supplier did they want to fit one, they said the one I had was not transferable from EON who fitted it, despite B Gas enabling it on the very first day that my contract started with them

ALL HAIL TO THE SMARTMETER Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by ramiejamie Sat 07 Oct 2023, 4:23 pm

Thanks for your comments NM.
It seems you have nothing but positive views on smart metres.
I may re evaluate my position on getting one.
ramiejamie
ramiejamie
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Sat 07 Oct 2023, 4:30 pm

As long as you can get a reasonably good mobile phone signal it should work perfectly, if you can't get a good signal is when things can go haywire
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by ramiejamie Sat 07 Oct 2023, 7:12 pm

Thanks, that’s good to know NM.
As it happens we have good reception here in Howfen and this coming week we are having a new upgraded BT hub fitted as part of our change to BT Voice to stop them using copper land line cables, so we shouldn’t have any problems with a smart meter.
ramiejamie
ramiejamie
gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum