Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bridge Collapse

+2
ramiejamie
Lolly
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bridge Collapse - Page 2 Empty Re: Bridge Collapse

Post by Tommy Two Stroke Wed 27 Mar 2024, 5:12 pm

Admin wrote:I remember driving across this bridge back in the 80's on my way from New York to Washington, D.C. and two weeks later driving back north. I got quite a view of Baltimore from it.

I drove from Orlando to Key West via Miami, there are some long bridges in those Florida Keys Smile
Tommy Two Stroke
Tommy Two Stroke

https://www.loonyparty.com/

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bridge Collapse - Page 2 Empty Re: Bridge Collapse

Post by Lolly Wed 27 Mar 2024, 5:35 pm

Experts estimate the closure of the port of Baltimore following the Key Bridge's collapse could cost up to $15m (£11.8m) per day, until the shipping lane is reopened.

Though it's not the biggest in the US, the port handles tens-of-millions of tonnes of cargo each year, including car shipments and coal exports.

The ruptured bridge that stretches across the port is also part of a major highway - Interstate 695 - that connects the north-eastern US. It is now inaccessible to the roughly 30,000 Marylanders that cross the bridge daily.

"The tentacles here are far-reaching," economist Anirban Basu, founder and CEO of Baltimore-based Sage Policy Group, told Business Insider. "And they're all negative."

State transportation officials have not yet given any indication of when the port might reopen to vessels.

Source BBC
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum