Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upholland Grammar School

Go down

Upholland Grammar School Empty Upholland Grammar School

Post by Lolly Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Upholland Grammar School Cache_2414935315

THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF OUR LIVES
Thanks to Dr. Allan Miller for the following article which appeared at the time of the publication of his book on the history of Up Holland Grammar School.

Local author, Dr Allan Miller, has just had his fifth book, entitled ‘From Up Holland Grammar School to Winstanley College’, published by the European Library. The book is dedicated to the late Mr J J Bagley, who taught at the school and who published his own history of Up Holland Grammar School in 1944. It is also a response to a challenge. In 1953, when the school moved to new premises, Mr Matheson, Chairman of the Old Pupils’ Association, wrote: ‘What a pity Mr Bagley’s splendid history of the school was published 10 years before its stirring final chapter could be written! Who will tackle this supremely worthwhile job? Perhaps an Old Pupil who loves his old school will rise to the task of setting down for posterity the details of this most memorable and joyous milestone in its life – its first new suit in its 300 years of progress.’ Dr Miller has risen to the challenge with relish. ‘I was a pupil at Up Holland Grammar School in the 1950s and taught there in the 1960s. I spent some of the happiest days of my life at Up Holland Grammar School and it has been a labour of love to write the history of the school to which I owe so much’, Dr Miller explained. The book has been written to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the new school and it tells a fascinating story.

http://www.mugs61.co.uk/history/
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum